Microsoft has just launched a new, AI-powered Bing search engine and Edge browser, available in preview now at Bing.com, to deliver better search, more complete answers, a new chat experience and the ability to generate content.
The new Bing experience is a culmination of many technological breakthroughs. For example, Bing is running on a new, next-generation OpenAI large language model that is more powerful than ChatGPT and customised specifically for search. It takes key learnings and advancements from ChatGPT and GPT-3.5 – and it is even faster, more accurate and more capable.
“AI will fundamentally change every software category, starting with the largest category of all – search,” said Satya Nadella, Chairman and CEO, Microsoft. “Today, we’re launching Bing and Edge powered by AI copilot and chat, to help people get more from search and the web.”
There are 10 billion search queries a day, but Microsoft estimates half of them go unanswered. Search is great for finding a website, but for more complex questions or tasks it can not deliver what the user needs. Microsoft has brought together search, browsing, and chat into one unified experience delivering:
- Better search. The new Bing gives you an improved version of the familiar search experience, providing more relevant results for simple things like sports scores, stock prices and weather, along with a new sidebar that shows more comprehensive answers if you want them.
- Complete answers. Bing reviews results from across the web to find and summarise the answer you’re looking for. For example, you can get detailed instructions for how to substitute eggs for another ingredient in a cake you are baking right in that moment
- A new chat experience. For more complex searches – such as for planning a detailed trip itinerary or researching what TV to buy – the new Bing offers new, interactive chat. The chat experience empowers you to refine your search until you get the complete answer you are looking for by asking for more details, clarity and ideas
- A creative spark. The new Bing can generate content to help you. It can help you write an email, create a 5-day itinerary for a dream vacation, with links to book your travel and accommodations, prep for a job interview or create a quiz for trivia night.
- New Microsoft Edge experience. Microsoft has updated the Edge browser with new AI capabilities and a new look, and added two new functionalities: Chat and compose.
The new Bing is available today in a limited preview on desktop, and everyone can visit Bing.com to try sample queries and sign up for the waitlist. Microsoft are going to scale the preview to millions in the coming weeks. A mobile experience will also be in preview soon.